Sunday, September 28, 2014

Death Anniversary

1st Lt. Phillip Kent
 
 
Who was Phillip?  …My only son, grandson, soldier, comrade, friend, and scholar who loved his country and was ready to fulfill his military duty with enthusiasm and determination.
Phillip was a Veteran (one of who fought in a war) of Operation Iraqi Freedom.  He brought his men/equipment home safely but tragically he came home a broken man suffering from PTSD.
Upon returning he found his marriage broken, little or no debriefing from the Army….  As a parent, I contacted Army Chaplains.  ‘No help, no returned calls.
 
Phil was forced to resign his commission or face more harassment from fellow officers.  Phil left Fort Hood, Texas in November 2004.  He returned home to South Carolina, and succumbed to death by his own hand.
 
Each time I share my story I become a stronger human being.  I appreciate the many Care Organization that help bridge the gap that exists between soldier families, citizens and bureaucrats, who have never been there; who cope with their fears and inadequacies by avoidance and denial.
 
Laura Kent
Mother of 1st Lt. Phil Kent

No comments: